Pages

Thursday 24 July 2014

Waffle Duo


I am off for the summer! YES!
I know, it's unfair, my jobs easy bla bla bla. But I don't care. I plan to use my 6 weeks off to bake, cook and try not eat it all. I need to find someone to eat everything I cook. It's not good for the pre wedding waist line. I did eat these waffles though, as they were for dinner. Daniel loved them too.

My sister Kate bought me the waffle maker for my birthday, it is seriously good! And seriously dangerous as I cant stop using it.

I decided to make savoury and sweet waffles, the savoury ones are made from mashed potato. Heres how to make them.

What you need:
Adapted recipe from Joy the Baker

Serves 4

60ml buttermilk
4 tbsp butter
2 large eggs
About 200g mashed potatoes
64g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
100g cheddar cheese
Prosciutto ham
mozzarella cheese
Bacon lardons
Salsa
Rocket


What you need to do:

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium- low heat. It will pop and splurt you but it's ok. Just stand back a bit. Let it do that and the butter should turn slightly brown and smell a tad nutty. This is good. Now transfer it to a medium bowl straight away, don't let it burn. 

Whisk in the buttermilk and eggs until combined. Add the mash and gently stir to combine.


In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Add these dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix with a spoon until the flour is combined. 

Heat the waffle iron and grease it. I do this with a little veg oil on some kitchen paper. Dollop about a ladle full of batter into the machine one each side and close the lid. 
Cook until they are golden brown on both sides.


I decided to top mine with cooked bacon lardons and prosciutto ham and then melt some cheddar cheese and mozzarella on top. I did this by popping them in the oven for 10 mins, you could do it under the grill though. I then served them with a little salsa and some rocket.

They were seriously yum! Sort of like a potatoey pizza. Gooey and comforting. Go try it!

Now here is the recipe for my sweet waffles.


What you'll need:

250g plain flour
7g baking powder
20g caster sugar
5g salt
475ml milk
 2 eggs
30ml veg oil
2 bananas 
Maple syrup


What you need to do:

Firstly crack your eggs into a jug with your milk. Mix them up with a fork and place to one side.
Now mix together your dry ingredients and make a well in the middle. Now add your milk and mix until combined. There maybe a few lumps but thats ok, don't over mix.


Now heat up your waffle maker and grease it if you need to. Now add a ladle full of batter to each side and close the lid.

Cook until golden on both sides.

Serve them warm with a topping of your choice. I chose sliced bananas and warm maple syrup but I have also used melted chocolate and squirty cream. You could pop some summer berries on them with whipped cream or syrup.

I have tried to pop some blueberries into my batter too, they were really lovely but got a bit stuck to my waffle iron.

Give them a go, tell me what toppings you choose!

No comments:

Post a Comment