Pages

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Cabbage & Bacon Soup


I have a little lunch recipe for you today. Doesn't sound very appetizing does it, cabbage. But I've become obsessed with it lately. I even replace pasta with white cabbage thanks to Rosie from The Londoner blog, I will pop that up on here soon for you to try.


This isn't a particularly glamorous post and it does send off a bit of a whiffy smell but it does taste great and it is pretty low in calories too. Perfect to take to work for lunch if you have access to a microwave.


All you need is:

1/2 a British Savoy Cabbage sliced
1 white onion diced
Garlic (minced or oil) 1 clove
4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon cut up
1 litre chicken stock
pinch of S&P


All you need to do is:

This recipe is super easy you just heat up some oil and pop in your diced onion. If you are using garlic oil then just fry your onions in it. This is what I did, I love garlic oil, no more smelly hands.

You then pop in your minced garlic (not if your using garlic oil unless you love garlic LOADS)

Now cut up your bacon rashers (I use scissors over the pan) and let it cook until a bit crispy.

Now chop up your 1/2 cabbage and pop it in to fry for a few mins. Once it's wilted down a little add your 1 litre of chicken stock and leave to simmer until your cabbage is soft.

I left mine for around 15 minutes.

Now, without burning yourself and making a massive mess pop your soup into a blender add a pinch of S&P and whizz up until it is smooth. If you like it a little chunky then just don't blend for so long. It's up to you.

Once blended, return to the pan to cool and then store in an air tight container in the fridge. Don't put it in the fridge hot as it will lower your fridge temp. Bad move.

I am biased towards cabbage, I just really like it. I hope you do too, it's very filling and thick. 

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment