Pages

Friday 2 May 2014

Southern Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe


Since starting to plan our honeymoon (literally the day after the proposal) I have had a steadily growing obsession for all things Southern (America that is). We've always loved country music and I am an avid fan of Diners, Drive ins and Dives on the Food Network amongst every other show going on that fabulous network. The southern states seem to have the most heart warmingly fantastic food, I have now set about creating my own versions. This gooey, sticky pineapply creation is one I just had to share. Plus it looks super retro and kitsch.

It involves a bit of a faff with the egg whites and heating up the pineapple syrup etc but believe me it is more than worth it! The sponge was much moister and fluffier than ones I have previously made and Dan really loved it. A small miracle in itself.
I got the recipe from my new favourite source http://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/pineapple-upside-down-cake-recipe 
You have to then click on the red link next to the photograph. 

What you will need:

1/4 cup of butter (around 56g)
2/3 cup of firmly packed light or dark brown sugar (I used dark)
1 can of pineapple rings (drained but save 1/4 cup of juice)
9 maraschino cherries (I used 6)
2 large separated eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Whipped cream or an ice cream of your choice to serve

Equipment:

The recipe says a 9 inch skillet pan but I just used my 8 inch sandwich tin
Small saucepan 
Mixing bowl
An electric whisk (better than a mixer for this recipe as your mixing a very small amount of mixture)



Firstly pre heat your oven to 175°
Melt your butter in a microwavable bowl and pour it into your cake pan, now spread your brown sugar over the butter and mix it about a bit until it dissolves in.



Now drain your pineapple but be sure to save 1/4 cup of the juice (just drink the rest, I did). Now set it aside.
Pop your pineapple slices in a single layer on top of your sticky sugar and place a cherry in each of the holes.



Sorry for the awful iphone pictures for the actual recipe but my camera is mahoosive and I'm too scared of holding it one handed whilst cooking. I am working on a new tiny one.
Anyway.. now mix your egg yolks on a medium speed in a mixing bowl until they go all lovely and thick. They should be lemon coloured ish. Now gradually mix in your granulated sugar.


Heat up your pineapple juice over a low heat, slowly and carefully gradually pour it into your egg mixture. Mix well. 
Now combine your dry ingredients, flour, salt and baking powder and mix them into the eggy, pineappley concoction until blended.


Now its the egg white bit. I love doing this, it looks like clouds. Yes, clouds, so whisk your egg whites into stiff peaks and fold them carefully into the batter. Be careful not to squash out all the air you just created as this is what makes it lovely and light. Now spoon this on top of your pineapple slices and place into the oven for 45-50 mins.

Once you take it out of the oven, let it cool for around 30mins (I clearly waited for about 5 before diving in) and then tip it out onto a pretty plate. You can eat it hot or cold with ice cream, whipped cream, custard or just all on its tod like we did.


Oooh I wish I hadn't eaten all of mine, these photographs are making me hungry!



Right now, run along and make this beauty. You wont be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment