Pages

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Southern Cornbread


Once again I decided to make southern treats again this weekend. I have had this huge bag of cornmeal in my kitchen since we moved in, I tried making polenta mash but Dan wasn't keen (mash is his fav) since then I have been trying to decide on what to make with it.
I decided on cornbread, there is no kneading or proving involved and it always looks so lovely and buttery in pictures, plus its a southern staple. Right up my street.


Right, so you need:

6 tbsp unsalted melted butter
1 cup of cornmeal
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk


And your method is as follows:

Preheat your oven to 220 C and lightly grease an 8 inch cake tin.
In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, both baking soda and bicarb and your salt)




In another bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk and butter. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and fold together until there are no dry spots. It might be a little lumpy but thats ok. Now pour it into your baking tin.




Bake until the top is golden brown and the middle is dry when tested with a tooth pick or knife. This will take around 20-25 mins. 
Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 mins before serving.


I thought I should pose with my food in true blogger fashion but then realised...


Look! my hair matches both my jumper and my bread. Great.


Lexi wanted in on the posing, she's a pro...


It then got too much and the posing had to end...


Back to the cornbread now I think,




There you have it, go ahead and make it. Honestly it's really easy, no kneading or proving or anything. It's very good warm with a little butter.













No comments:

Post a Comment